Saturday, December 7, 2013

Applesauce!

I don't know about you, but I like applesauce. Of course nothing can beat homemade apple sauce. I made this over Thanksgiving and meant to make a post about it. I guess it's always better late than never.



Earlier this year, I made my first batch of homemade apple sauce following a recipe from The Pioneer Woman.  After that, I began experimenting with my own recipe, using hers as a base.

So to start....I gathered my apples. I use about 8 of them and I don't use just one kind. I find that mixing a sweet apple (like a gala) with a sour apple, makes an applesauce that I enjoy best.


I then peel the apples and cut them up into small pieces. I like to get as much apple meat as possible, and I also like to leave just the tiniest bit of skin on the apples for a bite. I throw all my apples into a pot on the stove.


Then, I add some flavor. I know a lot of people use a lemon, but me I find it is sweeter to use orange juice. So my apple sauce isn't too sweet, I squeeze half of the juice from a lemon and half of the juice from an orange. I also use 1/2 cup of apple cider and 1/4 cup of water for my liquid base. 

 Next I add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon (yum) , 1/3 cup of brown sugar and 4 tablespoons of white sugar. Why...I like how it all tastes.

I put it on the stove, and let it come to a boil.It makes the house smell great!




After the juices all blend together, and the apples are soft and tender, I take it off of heat. I then use a food processor and blend it all together.





And the last thing I do is enjoy it!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...