Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Birthday Cake!

It's J's birthday today. He's turning a big.....well, he is getting close to entering his mid twenties. And he is well not doing a great as one would be doing around their birthday. He seems to be a bit depressed. I thought maybe making him a healthy cake would help him. (And by healthy I mean less than 310 calories)

Tuscan Cake with Citrus Compote
( I did make some substitutions- they will be in Pink!)

Cake:

  • 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
  • 6 tablespoons of EVOO(extra-virgin olive oil) - I didn't have enough oil (opps) so I used 1 1/2 tablespoons of  pure vegetable oil (Don't tell)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp grated grapefruit ring (My grapefruit was bad so I used clementines instead)
  • 1/1/2 tsp grated lime rinds
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1( 6 ounce) container of plain yogurt. (I use Greek yogurt which involved math- ugh- I found out that between 2/3 and 3/4 cup is 6 ounces. Remember there are 8 ounces to a cup NOT 16 like I thought) 
  • 1 1/4 Cup of flour
  • 1/4 cup of cornmeal- the first time I have ever used cornmeal in cooking.
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  1. Preheat over to 325 degrees.
  2. Grind up the limes and clementines

   3. Place sugar and oil in a large mixing bowl; beat at high speed 2 minutes or until well blended.  
    

 4. Add the egss 1 at a time and beat well after each addition,
 5. Add the rinds, yogurt, and vanialla; beat until just combined.

             

6. Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder and salt, stirring with a whisk (A whisk is very important)
7. Add the flour mixture to the oil mixture and stir with a whisk until just combined. Pour into a greased cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. 


            

 For the Compote:

  • 2 large Red grapefruit ( I didn't have those so I used clementines)
  • 4 Large Oranges
  • 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp of honey
  • 1/8 tsp of cinnamon
1. Peel the fruit, reserve the juices and set the fruit in a medium bowl.
              
2. Combine  the reserved juices, lime and lemon juice in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Stir in the honey and cinnamon. Simmer until syrupy. Cover and chill for 30 minutes, mix with the fruit and pour over the cake. 

And the Cake!!!!



 So, while I was making the cake I did have a helper. (or someone who wanted to help)

(Hey Mommy what are you doing? Can I help?)

(Is that for me?)

(I can't believe I couldn't lick the spoon)
Ciao,                    

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...